Tuesday 11 December 2007

Comes the Darkness, Comes the Light: A Memoir of Cutting, Healing, and Hope by Vanessa Vega

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPublished by AMACOM - a division of American Management Association.
Distributed by Raincoast Books

Comes the Darkness, Comes the Light is a memoir of cutting, healing and hope. The author Vanessa Vega shares her heart-wrenching story in which she would often find herself overcome by a darkness. She would try anything to fight it. Watching TV, reading a book, talking with friends but the outcome would always be the same. She would go in search of an appropriate tool… and cut.

In this intense account, Vanessa Vega shares her life, thoughts, emotions, and deeply personal experiences. While the content could be defined as sometimes shocking and disturbing, it is simultaneously beautiful and stunning as we witness the healing of a soul.

As someone who was a cutter, I am probably a tad biased in this review since I know it would have reached me on deeper levels than someone who had not lived through such destructive habits. That said, I find it hard to believe that anyone could read this memoir and not be incredibly moved by the content found within.

I am in awe of the strength and courage that it must have taken to share such a secret. Cutting is something that is becoming more widespread and is often seen as shameful or worse, the act of someone mentally ill. I am so relieved that it is finally being brought into the open more. Books of this kind make it easier for people to learn about the subject and hopefully understand it a little more. It certainly gave me some insight and I wish that such a book had been available during those dark periods of my life. At a time when I thought I was the only person in the world who had these urges, when I thought that I was going crazy and hated myself with a passion, I might have learned a lot sooner that I was simply trying to deal with things in the only way I knew how.

I loved the writing style. It matches the title perfectly as the author has indeed managed to balance the darkness and light in her words. This is one of those books I will no doubt rave about. It is a 'must read' for anyone who cuts or self-injures in other ways, and the people who love them. It is a 'should read' for everyone.

A deeply inspirational and uplifting book.

I will be reviewing another two books on the subject in the very near future.

Author's website: http://vanessa-vega.com/

No comments: