Mike Resnick presents a diverse collection of short stories by leading science fiction writers. Each author has chosen what they believe are their best comical tales and introduces that story with a short introduction though we find out why they chose a certain tale, and at times some insight into the authors themselves.
The authors featured are Harry Harrison, William Tenn, Jane Yolen, Howard Waldrop, Barry Malzberg, Laura Resnick, David Gerrold, Spider Robinson, Robert Silverberg, James Patrick Kelly, Jody Lynn Nye, Nick DiChario, Tom Gerencer, Michael Swanwick, Esther Friesner, Gardner Dozois, Jack McDevitt, Ralph Roberts, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Bill Fawcett, Josepha Sherman, Nancy Kress, David Brin, Walter Jon Williams, Joe Haldeman, Mike Resnick, Harry Turtledove, Connie Willis, and Robert Sheckley.
As for the stories, they are a fun insight into just how fun the imagination can be. The reader gets to explore so many strange situations:
- What would happen if someone were to spike the water supply with LSD?
- What if Heaven and Hell were managed Mafia style?
- What would it be like to live the life of Franz Kafka, especially if you were to have the ability to turn into a giant cockroach superhero called Bug-Man?
- What happens when a sassy teen discovers an alien with a bad disguise and offers him a free makeover?
- What would a radio station sound like if it were hosted by aliens?
- Could sugar plum fairies take over the earth?
A light, fun read.