Monday 16 April 2007

Dork Whore: My Travels Through Asia as a Twenty-Year-Old Pseudo-Virgin by Iris Bahr

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPublished by Bloomsbury USA

Iris Bahr writes with such hilarity in Dork Whore. The book follows the adventures of the author as she decides to explore asia with the goal of losing her virginity. Forget the mile-high club, Iris finds a whole new level on strange places to get sexual. From a seedy sex club (I am not sure I can ever eat a banana again! *laughs*), a first class train carriage on the top bunk with an entire family sleeping in the bunks below and the tops of mountains, to name a few.

More than just sexual though, this book is a brilliant journey of self-discovery, shared through a wide variety of emotional moments. You can't help but feel an empathy as you read along and I felt more of a connection with this book than I have with many others. It's written in a refreshingly honest way with literally nothing held back and that the reader gets to glimpse other countries through the author is a great bonus.

I admit at first I was a little skeptical when I saw the book described as hilarious, as so many books claim to be and fall short but the author really hit the mark with this one. I rarely comment on book covers but I absolutely adored this one.

This is Iris Bahr's first book and I sure hope it won't be the last. The world needs more books like this!

Author's website: http://www.irisbahr.com/

No comments: