Wednesday 14 March 2007

For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison

Release date March 20, 2007.
Reviewed as part of the First Look program.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket From the Publisher (Eos Books - An imprint of Harper Collins Publishers):

Despite dating one vampire and living with another, Rachel Morgan has always managed to stay just ahead of trouble . . . until now.
A fiendish serial killer stalks the Hollows, claiming victims across society, and the resulting terror ignites a vicious Inderland gang war. And while the ancient artifact Rachel is hiding may be the key to stopping the murderer, revealing it could also create a battle to the death among the numerous supernatural races that live in and around Cincinnati.
For every action has its price, and when the vampire master Piscary is set free and the demonic Algaliarept dares to walk openly under the sun, even Rachel Morgan can’t hide forever.


This was my first experience with Kim Harrison books and this novel is the fifth book of the Hollows series. I had previously bought books one and two from the series but never quite found the time to read them. (I could kick myself for having left them on my bookshelf so long!)

I fell in love with this set of books immediately. The characters are so incredibly real that you soon forget that this is a book, as you are drawn into their world known as the Hollows. Rachel Morgan is a witch with attitude, killer dress sense and an amazing team of friends which include werewolves, vampires, elves and pixies. Just try and read this book and then tell me you don't want a pixie family in your garden!

One of my favourite visuals came to find when reading the following:

Three more pixies were braiding my hair, Jenks playing supervisor to prevent a repeat of "the snarl incident."
"No, not that way, Jeremy," Jenks said, and I stiffened. "You go under Jocelynn, then over Janice before you do the double back. There, that's it. Got the pattern?"
A weary chorus of "Yes, Dad," brought a smile to my face, and I tried not to move as I painted my thumbnail. I could hardly feel the tugs on my hair as they worked.

The story is exciting, hilarious, heart-stopping and intense on so many levels and the intimate scenes will leave your heart pounding and your mouth watering. I lost count of the number of times I laughed out loud and many of them were in reaction to Jenks (pixie) and his colourful exclamations. I am never going to look at Tinkerbell the same way again.

I find it hard to believe anyone could pick this book up and regret it. This book definitely deserves a space on any shelf, but be warned, you may want to keep plenty of space beside it for the rest of the series (if you don't already have them) as you will be well and truly hooked.

Please do check out the site of Kim Harrison as she has many excerpts from her books (including this one) and they will give you much more of an idea of how great these books are.

Author's website: http://www.kimharrison.net/

No comments: